There are a ton of fun events taking place at the Levittown Public Library this summer, so mark your calendars.
Here's a list of some upcoming events for the month of August. Check out July events as well. Please note that some events may require registration or tickets and some events may require a fee.
- Exhibit and Display: Long Island Quilter’s Society and Quilters in the Park. Aug. 1 through Aug. 31.
- August Quilting Demonstration: Week of Aug. 13 through Aug. 17, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Exhibit Area.
- Bus Trip Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012. Westchester Dinner Theater---“Can-Can." Departure time 3:30 p.m. $89.00 per person includes: Show, dinner, transportation, and gratuities. Contact the Library for details.
- AARP Driver Safety Program:Thursday, Aug. 2, at 9:30 a.m. Fee: $17.00 for AARP Members; $19.00 for non-members, (check or money order). Fee and Registration required.
- Feature Film: Friday, Aug. 3, 2012 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. In the Community Room We Bought a Zoo Rated PG, 2 hrs. 4 minutes. No fee or tickets required.
- Cooking: International Picnic: Monday, Aug. 6, at 7:00 p.m. In this demo/tasting class, Lee Perrotta will show how to make Thai coleslaw, the Cuban sandwich, and a surprise potato salad! Fee and Registration required.
- Comedian Mark Brier: Friday, Aug. 10, at 7:30 p.m. PG-style humor about jobs, kids, current events, or anything for a laugh. “Laughter is the best medicine,” Brier states. Mark has been a comedian for over 30 years and has appeared on cruise ships, comedy clubs, and resorts! Individual tables of 4 will be set throughout the room to give a cabaret atmosphere. Light refreshments served. Patrons must be in their seats by 7:20 p.m. A latecomer’s seat may be forfeited. No fee. Tickets required.
- Alyson Richman the author of The Lost Wife: Aug. 13, from 7:00-8:30 p.m. Alyson Richman the author of The Lost Wife will be appearing at the End of the Summer Reading Party! Seating is limited. Light refreshments will be served. No Fee. Registration Required.
- Natural Wellness: Thursday, August 16, at 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Join Certified Holistic Health Counselor, Linda Mandelbaum, for a fun and interactive class about how your food and lifestyle choices impact your lifelong health and wellness. Tea and healthy snacks served. No fee. Registration required.
- Singles Discussion & Support Group: Friday, Aug. 17, at 7:00 p.m. Share experiences and thoughts with fellow divorced, widowed, and single people. Marla Matthews is a TV talk show host, Social Worker, and Life Coach and she will facilitate these discussions. No fee. Registration required.
- Page Turners: Monday, Aug. 20, at 1:00 p.m. Adult Book Discussion Group. The Alienist by Caleb Carr. No fee or registration required.
- Outdoor Movie: Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 7:15 p.m. Grab your chairs, blankets, picnic baskets and head to the library for a night of entertainment enjoyed by all ages. This movie will be shown in the staff parking lot on a big screen designed to show before sunset. Seating is on a first come basis, some chairs supplied. Showing "Big Miracle."
- Empire Safety Council Defensive Driving: Saturday, Aug. 25, at 9:30 a.m. Fee: $35.00 (check or money order). Fee and Registration required.
- CPR Certification and Lifesaving Skills: Monday, Aug. 27, at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. You will receive certification from the American Red Cross after completion of this 3 hour course taught by instructor and former Suffolk County EMT, Lori Green, who will teach you how to perform CPR and other various lifesaving techniques. Fee and Registration required.
- Nassau County Department of Assessment: Wednesday, Aug. 29, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Will process your property tax exemption application on-site, including the Basic STAR and Enhanced STAR. For further information, call 516-571-1500. Sponsored by County Executive Mangano & Legislator Dunne. No fee or registration required.
- TEEN Programs - Thursdays, Aug. 2, from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- Teen-Booked For Lunch: For teens entering grades 9 to 12 in September Wondering what to read this summer? Eager to share your enthusiasm about a book you just read? Bring your lunch and join us as we suggest some titles for good summer reading. Share your reading suggestions and favorite books. Each session will focus on a different genre and will include a fun activity. No fee. Registration required.
This is just some of the events taking place at the Levittown Library in August. For more info, please call the library at 516-731-572 or visit www.nassaulibrary.org/levtown.