Each week, Patch Picks will highlight editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off and more.
You’ll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date night destinations, florists, girls' nights out, kids party places, parks and more.
This week, Levittown Patch searched for summer camps for local children to attend this summer. We found school run programs, large and established camps, and specialty options. There is something for everyone on this list, so be sure to check out what camps are right around your corner:
1. Kiddie Junction: For the younger crowd, Kiddie Junction has a part-time summer camp program for children between two and six years of age. Campers can enjoy the facility's outdoor playground, computers, arts, crafts, music activities and play area for sports, as well as carnival game day, sports day and disco party. Parents can opt to have children entering kindergarten or first grade participate in a reading, writing or math session. All teachers are certified and experienced with young children.
Location: 3 North Village Green, Wolcott Road, Levittown
2. All-Star Gymnastics: This venue offers many class options for the summer session in addition to their camp. The camp is open to children over the age of four and will run from July 6 to Aug. 28. Students can choose to participate for four, six or eight weeks of the summer. All-Star Gymnastics classes are generally small and are available at a variety of different levels.
Location: 3601 Hempstead Tpke., Levittown
3. Carousel Summer Program: Located right across the border in Hicksville, Carousel offers camp from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Parents have the option of enrolling their child in four, six or eight week programs at three, four or five days a week. The camp has three heated swimming pools and each camper gets to take a dip two times day with swimming instruction. Other activities include basketball, drama, soccer, fitness, bowling, nature, dance, music, mini golf and much more.
Location: 9 West Avenue, Hicksville
4. Big Chief: Located just down the road in East Meadow, Big Chief has been in operation since 1954. They offer a variety of programming options and are always supervised by experienced and professional staff. Camp activities include Olympics, treasure hunts, arts, sports, talent shows and day trips. Big Chief has two swimming pools on the premise and is always monitored by certified instructors.
Location: 2427 North Jerusalem Road, East Meadow
5. Thomas School of Horsemanship Summer Camp: For kids who love horses, this camp is a great all-in-one deal. They have all day riding programs, swimming, sports, crafts and more. The Thomas School of Horsemanship is designed for kids between the ages of 3 and 15 and is one of the most extensive riding camps in the area. The facility is located on 33 acres with an indoor arena. Though located in Melville, your little equestrian will find this camp worth going the distance.
Location: 250 Round Swamp Road, Melville
Phone: (631) 692-6840
Editor's Note: Though it is new to town and hasn't yet started its camp programs, The Little Gym will offer camp this summer and this spring during school breaks. If you're interested in an active environment to send your child between the ages of four months and 12 years, call 516-520-4455 for information.