Town of Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray recently honored 22 police officers for their outstanding service during the Town of Hempstead’s 2013 Police Service Awards ceremony at the Nathan L.H. Bennett Pavilion at Hempstead Town Hall.
Police officers from the villages of Freeport, Garden City, Hempstead, Lynbrook, Rockville Centre and from the Nassau County Police Department were recognized for their respective acts of heroism in the line of duty.
“While we live, work and raise our families here in the Town of Hempstead, our dedicated police officers are patrolling the streets to ensure that our quality of life is protected,” Murray said. “I am proud to present these 22 police officers with the town’s Police Service Award in recognition of their heroic and selfless acts.”
The following police officers were honored during the town’s 2013 Police Service Awards ceremony:
- Officer Andrew Huksloot, Nassau County 1st Precinct
- Detective Timothy Slavin, Nassau County 1st Squad
- Officer Robert Phaneuf, Nassau County 2nd Precinct
- Detective Clifford Alek, Nassau County 2nd Squad
- Officers William Purcell and Jonahtan Panuthos, Nassau County 3rd Precinct
- Detective John Galowski, Nassau County 3rd Squad
- Officers Rita Bopp-Carroll and Richard Menzies, Nassau County 4th Precinct
- Detective Kristina Napolitano-Ferro, Nassau County 4th Squad
- Officer Richard Adams and Michael Karp, Nassau County 7th Precinct
- Detective Brandon Hillman, Nassau County 7th Squad
- Officers Michael Iannarelli and Clarence Hudson, Tactical Services
- Officers John Jacobsen and Richard Samuel, Freeport Police Department
- Officer John Florio, Garden City Police Department
- Detectives Christopher Skartsiaris and William Straub, Lynbrook Police Department
- Officer John Rodgers, Hempstead Police Department
- Officer Paul Kaplon, Rockville Centre Police Department
Phaneuf is a Second Precinct officer awarded the 2013 Town of Hempstead Police Service Award.
Over the past seven years in Nassau County’s Precinct, Phaneuf has proven himself to be a dedicated crime-fighter. In 2013, he has made nearly 50 arrests so far, many of them culminating in the removal of dangerous criminals and drugs from our neighborhoods, according to the Town of Hempstead.
“I am proud to honor these police officers for their bravery, heroism, dedication and commitment in serving and protecting this great township,” Murray said. “Thanks to their selflessness and dedication, Hempstead Town remains a safe community in which to live, work and raise a family.”